Advertisement

Author Topic: Many women have healthy spending habit but her "$500k" is legit so who's right??  (Read 273 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1334
    • View Profile
My wife earns $500K a year, but drops $1,500 when she goes to the mall. She is jeopardizing our retirement

Dear Quentin,

My wife is at the director level for one of the most powerful healthcare companies in the world, so she’s been bringing home total compensation north of $500,000 for the last several years.

However, while she’s incredible at making money and always has been, she doesn’t understand it very well and has no idea how to account for it. You should have seen her 401(k) allocation back when we were dating. Even worse, her spending has gotten completely out of control, and she won’t listen to me when I try to reel her back in.

She has a desire to retire early — her company tends to push executives out the door in their 50s, by the way — and live lavishly thereafter, but we’ll never be able to achieve those goals if she keeps lighting money on fire.

While I own and operate a successful small business, it can’t be a primary source of income living the way we do. It works best as a glorified tax shelter. We have two children, ages 7 and 5, and my primary focus is giving them the best private education we can afford until graduation.

Fortunately, I manage our money well because we have zero debt outside of our mortgage and pay credit-card balances in full every month. We also max out retirement savings and my wife’s employee stock-purchase plan, but we’re not saving or investing nearly as much as we should because she spends $1,500 at the shopping mall almost as often as I spend $150 at the grocery store. “I make a lot of money, and deserve to buy what I want,” she tells me.

How can I get her to understand that every dollar she spends today robs us of $2 or $3 down the road to live the life she envisions for herself once our kids are grown and out of the house?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1334
    • View Profile
Could be worst in regards to legit "$500k"... ???:

Son charged, mother flees country after allegedly stealing over $500k from elderly relative in Hialeah

A 19-year-old man has been arrested but his mother has fled the country after the duo exploited their 93-year-old uncle from Hialeah, leaving him penniless, the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office announced on Friday.

Like this post: 0

Advertisements